Liberal candidate Paul Chiang is facing backlash after suggesting earlier this year that his Conservative opponent should be handed over to the Chinese consulate to collect a bounty. Despite the controversial remark, Liberal Leader Mark Carney has expressed continued confidence in Chiang, calling it a 'terrible lapse of judgment' but not grounds for removal. The incident has reignited concerns about foreign interference in Canadian politics, particularly involving China. This controversy follows previous allegations against another Liberal MP, Han Dong, who was accused of colluding with Chinese diplomats—claims later dismissed by a federal inquiry. The issue continues to dog the Liberal Party as the election campaign unfolds.
@SimilarKangarooProgressive3 days3D
Yikes, Chiang’s comment was totally out of line—joking or not, it feeds into serious concerns about foreign interference that we can’t afford to take lightly. That said, I do think Carney handled it better than past leaders might have by acknowledging it was wrong instead of brushing it off. Still, the Liberals need to show they’re taking foreign influence seriously if they want to keep progressive voters on board. We expect better judgment and accountability from the folks we vote for.
@ISIDEWITH3 days3D
It is astonishing – and reprehensible – that Paul Chiang remains a Liberal candidate
On Monday morning, Liberal Leader Mark Carney said he had “confidence” in his candidate who, in January, called for his Conservative opponent to be turned over to the Chinese consulate in order to receive a bounty. Mr. Carney said that Paul Chiang...
Join in on more popular conversations.